If you want to engage readers (and agent and editors!), your novel better start with a bang. Weak beginnings are one of the main reasons why novels get rejected, so creating a perfect opening is a must. This workshop will help you re-think your novel’s opening pages so that you can hook your readers from your first paragraph. We’ll cover how to:
- Create an inciting incident
- Cut unnecessary backstory
- Avoid vague and confusing starts and the most common mistakes
- Craft a contract with your reader
- Utilize dramatic tension and urgency
- Decide whether you need a prologue (probably not!)
and more, including plenty of time for Q&A to discuss your own novel’s beginning.