Bay Area writer, former literary agent’s assistant and freelance developmental book editor Michael Mohr spent a year working with Christian Picciolini on his memoir White American Youth: My Descent into America’s Most Violent Hate Movement–and How I Got Out (Hachette Books). about running one of the most heinous and powerful neo Nazi skinhead gangs in America and how he got out and changed his life. Christian in many ways turned out to be an ideal client. The experience prompted Michael to come up with a workshop to discuss the editing process and what it requires to be successful. In this workshop, Michael will discuss the following key components of being edited and will use White American Youth as a template/example of how it worked with this particular book:
- Having patience (no serious novel or memoir gets done in one draft)
- Being honest with yourself about time and money (it will take both)
- Being honest and open about expectations and knowing/learning about the reality you face in publishing
- Figuring out where your novel or memoir actually starts (finding the inciting incident)
- Using fictive techniques (ARC, PLOT, HURDLES, SCENE, SHOW VS TELL) in novels and memoir
- Ask yourself the annoying, uncomfortable question: Why should anyone read this book?
Join Michael to discuss these 6 key components of the editing process and jump with him down the rabbit hole into Christian’s wild, anarchic true story. At the same time, learn what you can do as an author to further your chances of having a successful experience with your editor and thus making it much more likely that you’ll get your work out into the world.
Staffed by Michael Mohr
Michael Mohr is a Bay Area writer, former literary agent’s assistant and freelance book editor. His fiction has been published in: Adelaide Literary Magazine; Bethlehem Writers’ Roundtable; Fiction Magazines; Tincture; Flash: The International Short Short Story Magazine; and more. His blog pieces have been included in Writers’ Digest, Writer Unboxed and MASH. His writing/editing website and weekly blog is www.michaelmohrwriter.com. His most recent client accomplishment is a memoir, White American Youth, by Christian Picciolini, a former neo Nazi skinhead who changed his life. (Hachette, Dec 26, 2017.) Michael edits memoir, adult literary and commercial novels, YA and suspense/thriller.