Anything less than exceptional crafting skills, exceptional execution, and exceptional presentation of a finished book disadvantages the book, the reader, and the writer. The Achieving Indie Excellence for Authors track will offer Independent Author-Publisher participants a comprehensive (and sequential) overview of the steps required to publish exceptional books. We will begin with your scrupulously edited manuscript and conclude with your ability to orchestrate the publication of your book in both print and digital, having explored and armed you with the knowledge of every step in between! There will be hand-outs. And there will be time to answer your questions. All participants in this track are invited to advance submit the opening 20 (double-spaced) pages of their works in progress for Read & Critique. Instructions will be provided after you’ve registered.
Achieving Indie Excellence for Authors consists of the following sessions:
- Book production: create your time-line and a step by step production checklist.
- Book production: the purpose of cover art & how your choices support your Author brand.
- Read & Critique of participant works in progress: the legitimacy and value offered by a skilled editor.
- Book production: digital and/or print formatting? Beta readers and/or proofreaders?
- Book production – keywords, categories, & book product descriptions; pricing your book; royalty rates; contracting with Amazon, B&N, Smashwords, Apple, Google Play, etc.; getting paid.
- Read & Critique of participant works in progress continued. Q&A.
- Your Social Media Platform & Your Brand - can they operate in harmony? Is reciprocity worthwhile?
- Defining realistic publication goals; series versus stand-alone books; and a final Q&A session.
Staffed by Laura Taylor
Veteran author, editorial consultant, and read & critique workshop leader Laura Taylor is the recipient of numerous awards for her writing, including 6 Romantic Times Lifetime Achievement, Reviewer’s Choice, and Career Achievement Awards, 2 Maggie Awards from GRW/RWA, 2 Golden Heart Finalist Awards (RWA), an RWA RITA Finalist Award, and a Golden Rose Award from the Gold Coast Chapter of RWA.