- SOLVE problematic aspects of your manuscript through the troubleshooting efforts of accomplished authors, editors and agents
- INTERACT with working professionals from the publishing, film, and transmedia industries in a uniquely accessible environment
- EMPOWER yourself with the tools and tactics needed to succeed in today’s expanding transmedia marketplace
- VALIDATE your writing accomplishments through the empirically qualified recognition of peers
- STOP first-tier rejection (or rejection out-of-hand) by agents and acquisition editors with the tools of fine-tuned authorial enticement
- ENGAGE others in the greater writing .COMmunity personally to forge lasting friendships and valuable contacts
Unlike conferences aimed to lure as many aspiring authors as possible with big-name superstars far removed from the realities of breaking into a now fickle publishing world, or with agents & editors who participate only on the condition that they MUST request a specified percentage of conferees’ submitted material — whether or not they’re genuinely interested — in order to be invited back, the SCWC is first and foremost about the writer. Where s/he is today. Where s/he wants to be tomorrow.
For some, success is measured by learning how to start writing a book. For others, it’s simply finishing that book. For others still, success may be measured not by going the traditional route of New York publishers, but by perhaps placing with an independent house, going hybrid, self-publishing, or choosing e-book-only distribution.
Regardless of level or ultimate objective, writers are confronted by a dizzying array of options, opportunities, distractions and potentially disastrous decisions that must be made during each stage of a book’s evolution. The difference between success and failure often hinges on timely information and community access that enables the writer to make the right decisions, right out of the gate. By hosting a select range of industry professionals, including accomplished authors, editors, and agents actively seeking new clients, the SCWC addresses these issues in effort to educate and help writers achieve their publication goals.
There’s a reason the SCWC has manged to facilitate over $4 million worth of first-time author book and screen deals. What is it? Check all of the above.
Bottom line: Aim for excellence. Settle only for exceptional. Your words are worth it.
Now let’s see what author Fred Ramsay has to say…